Saturday 3 November 2012

The Trussell Trust need food!

I do a lot of work with numerous different charities and one very close to my heart is Foodbank run by The Trussell Trust. A lot of you probably would never hear of this service which offers emergency food for people in a crisis. Though run by Christian groups, mainly in Churches, anyone is welcome. I have volunteered at Foodbank for only a few weeks after I found out about it through advertising. You may have seen the TV show on BBC1 this week, Britain's Hidden Hungry which gives a real insight into the system and also a little background into why people need to use Foodbank. It isn't all heroin addicts who are there by fault of their own. Some are families who've have an emergency and left them with no money, benefit delays, domestic violence meaning people have had to leave their home quickly - you very rarely hear two stories the same.

When we give out food, is it not luxuries. The Foodbank that is shown on the BBC show is not like the one I volunteer at, or most in the UK. Mostly we give out long life essentials such as pasta, tinned food and long life milk.


























If you can donate even a few items of this list, it would mean so much. I started by taking food down and it was then I was asked if I wanted to volunteer. If you go onto the Trussell Trust website, you can find your local food bank. Most towns have them but you can donate online to a different one, if you wanted to. you never know who might need to use Foodbank, so please give generously.

No comments:

Post a Comment